Democritus University of Thrace (DUTH)
Democritus University of Thrace (DUTH) was established in July 1973 by Legislative Decree No. 87 of 27 July 1973, and started operating during the academic year 1974-1975. It was named “Democritus” in honor of the ancient Greek philosopher Democritus, who hailed from the town of Abdera in Thrace.
The administration of DUTH is headquartered in Komotini, which is the capital city of the Administrative Region of Eastern Macedonia and Thrace.
The University is currently operating eight Faculties and nineteen Schools in four cities of Thrace – eight in Komotini, five in Xanthi, four in Alexandroupolis and two in Orestiada. Overall, more than 15,000 students are studying at DUTH at undergraduate and post-graduate level.
The University plays an important role in strengthening the national and cultural identity of the region of Thrace, and contributes to the high level of education in Greece. Relying on the quality of teaching and research level, DUTH has secured a place among the best Greek Universities.
As a Higher Education Institution, DUTH is a Public Entity with complete autonomy that is supervised and funded by the State through the Ministry of Education, Research and Religious Affairs.
The Department of Physical Education and Sport Science
The mission of the Department of Physical Education and Sport Science encompasses the following main objectives:
- to cultivate and promote the Science of Physical Education and Sport through academic and applied teaching and research.
- to provide its graduates with adequate knowledge that will ensure their integrated proficiency for their scientific and professional career.
- to contribute to the development of sports in Greece and at the same time to cultivate and propagate the athletic ideal all over Greece.
- to raise public awareness regarding the importance of physical education as a crucial factor contributing to the improvement of their standard.
The offered degrees are:
- The Department of Physical Education and Sports Science awards the relevant degree of Physical Education and Sports.
- All issues relevant to the Academic procedures and requirements of the Undergraduate and Graduate programs of study are determined according to arrangements regarding relevant University Departments. The minimum numbers of semesters required for obtaining a degree is eight.
- Graduates of the Department of PA & Sp Sc can undertake:
- The teaching of Physical Education and Sport Science in every level of education, in athletic clubs and in all relevant professional and social settings.
- The teaching of courses relevant to the science of Physical Education.
For more information visit our website: http://www.phyed.duth.gr